Running out of farming ideas? Try a few of these and get your business jumpin’!
1. Memorial Day/4th of July – stick a miniature flag in your neighbors’ yards near their mailboxes with your business card attached. Maybe some sparklers on the 4th of July would bring some spark to your business!
2. Host a neighborhood garage sale – pass out a flyer or mail a postcard telling your farming neighborhood that you are hosting a neighborhood garage sale (don’t forget to mention “sponsored by YOUR NAME, YOUR COMPANY). Let them know the dates & times and ask that they let you know if they will be participating and what items they will be selling – not only will this get them to contact you but you will also have more information for the ads. Inform them that you will put out signs and run a newspaper ad – also put the ad on Craigslist if available in your area. The week before the sale, place garage sale signs, balloons & other markers. On the day of the sale, show up! Walk around & meet your neighbors. Pass out business cards. Ask them if they are cleaning out their home because they are considering moving!
3. Seed packets – they are cheap & simple. Buy them from .20 and up. Stick on a business card label and pass them out to your neighbors. Lily of the Valley smell great and wildflowers can always brighten up a long-forgotten area of any yard.
4. Facebook community page – Start a community page for your neighborhood. Send out a postcard letting your farm area know you have done so and invite them to join. Post things such as market updates, listings for sale, average neighborhood selling price, garage sales, area events. Set up a discussion page for neighbors to connect. Don’t forget to mention that this page is sponsored by you!
5. Host a market update open house at your home. Invite your neighbors. Give them the run down of the current market conditions, a print out of homes on the market, recently sold, etc. Make sure to have marketing pieces there for yourself but don’t push it. This should strictly be a meet & greet informative open house. Some ways to entice people to show up may be an ‘instant value analysis’ for their home, free food, door prize (if allowed).
BONUS idea: Have a website? Create a neighborhood page focused on your farming area – show all listings for sale, market information, sold homes in the last 6 months, photos, etc.